Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Writing Update - August

Melissa:
Well, August kicked my ass.

*turns to Jackie* Can I say that here? Is it okay?

Back on track. Writing stuff. *sigh* The last month and a half have been non-stop. So much so that I don't know where August went. As I mentioned in the July update, I knew that I wouldn't find words this month with kiddo's sports schedule and readying to send kiddo back to school. And I was right. Heck, even getting the short flash fictions in was a workout that I was sweating over!

August has flown by with a speed I can't imagine. Well, they do say the older you get, the faster time goes. I guess that is starting to become true. But I really wish it would slow just a tad for me.

Yes, I did previously mention I made a few small word counts this month for Flash Fictions. There are two of them:
Flash Fiction 1:  451
Flash Fiction 2:  521

Now school is back in session. We do have games to go to twice a week but we are going to start getting on a schedule here. Kiddo has to do homework. I need to get caught up on my blog, write, and read. Oh and how can I forget I have, HAVE, to get some exercising in. Exercise will help me keep going for all I have planned. So, here's to finding a schedule in September!

Jackie:
Swear away. In fact, you might be ready to kick my ass when I kind of break a promise I'd made a mere few weeks ago....I'll get to that in a minute though. First let's talk about August.

I had big plans for August. I wanted to sit down most days and at least get something going that would give me words to report here, and get me towards a draft copy that I could start querying out in the big, scary world. Well, besides flash fictions, it didn't happen. I did, however, decorate my office finally. I have a few touches still to add, but for the most part, I now have a functional room in which to work. I want to say that's half the battle and all that but, really, it's just another mode I found to procrastinate the business of writing. I'm mentally working on changing this, truly. I just need to find a groove to get me unstuck from the idea that anything else I'm doing should come before the writing. This thinking is dragging me further away from what I really want. It won't happen if I don't do it, right?

Anyway, totals for the month look like this:

Flash 1: 573
Flash 2: 974

I probably could've written more for the second Flash but these posts are meant to be short. It kind of felt like maybe the beginning of something bigger. Perhaps I'll revisit it for NaNo?

As for September....it looks like I will be doing some classes this year, including Creative Writing (if space is still available,) so I'll definitely be working on writing. Just maybe not what I *should* be working on to finally finish up the one project. I'm not sure how this will work out in future months, especially November. I'll have a better idea in a week or two. Until then, I'll be working on keeping my head in the game and getting something down on paper.

2 comments:

  1. And I had a whole comment ready to post, and I hit the sign out button. *head desk* Let me try this again...

    So, August really was a rough one for us. Here's hoping September works out a bit better for us. And don't worry about that promise. THAT'S GREAT! about school. You will be working toward that final goal. It'll be a bit harder on rewrites and Nano, but maybe you could do the shorts again for nano instead of a novel. :)

    I was really hoping to have my novella (that is now looking at being a short novel count) by the end of August. I want to get it to friends and out for submission. That didn't happen. *sigh* Life likes to throw wrenches at me. I'm planning on getting back on that horse I was knocked off of and galloping through the finish line... (hoping!) by the end of September. Then October is to be the month for mapping and outlining for a story idea that is still popping up in my head for November's Nano. That story has been baking for about a year and a half. There are notes stored in my office that I can add to.

    So, here's to lots of great things happening. :) We can do this Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you're so close to the beta read/query stage. You'll get it done no problem! I've had some ideas that are floating around. If I can get enough of an outline, November might not be a total write off :)

    ReplyDelete